Sunday, November 25, 2012

SORRY :(


The mood was somber. The TV screen flickered and then came alive. I scanned the channels. Aha!!! There is one of my favorite movie playing, a laugh riot "Dumb & Dumber". I kept the movie running. But then I could not enjoy it for more than five minutes. My mind kept wondering to the morning office episode. I turned off the TV. I took out my mobile. The vibrant color of the four inch mobile screen flashed as my eyes scanned the top left corner of the screen for an incoming message symbol. Alas, there still was no reply of my sms. I had apologized but my apology is yet not accepted. The mobile went back into my trouser pockets. I went to the book shelve and picked up the novel I was reading yesterday. I flipped back to the bookmarked page and continued reading. Couple of minutes into reading, I felt the reading's too not helping.  Though I was rushing into the pages, the factious story of the novel was still stuck at the bookmarked point. No point reading, I closed the book. I closed my eyes. Flashback…


During my childhood, I had wronged a friend at school unknowingly and could not admit my action in public due to fear of punishment and humiliation. I confessed to my mom and she had asked, when I meet my friend next day in school, not only to apologize in words but do something more to make my friend believe the spirit of apology. I sat whole afternoon, giving a miss to the cricket match, to create a hand made sorry card. Next day at school, I admitted my mistake, apologized to my friend and gave him the card. He was touched, more so for the card. I understood what my mother tried to convey.

SORRY. It's just not a 5 lettered word of english but has more to it. It not only tells our poor, pitiful condition but radiates compassion and sympathy. It has the power to mend relationships, to bridge gaps and foster happiness. But today people use the word 'Sorry' without attaching any emotion. Sorry…You bumped into somebody in a crowded lift. A complete mechanical response. Sorry…You get caught violating traffic rule. Just want to evade the fine. Sorry… You could not help a friend in trouble. You wanted to act diplomatic and still maintain friendship. Even a hardcore terrorist ,who had gunned down innocent lives cold bloodily, last words were Sorry before getting hanged. Maybe the overuse of the word in today's dialect has taken a sheen out of it.  But then I don't think there is any other alternative word so powerful in the Shakespearian dictionary which can substitute it either. So it's not the word alone which expresses the true state but the emotion and spirit associated with it.

In office, a prank of mine to evoke laughter has backfired. Someone is angry. Someone is into problems. I said Sorry, but thats a mechanical response. That did not help. Hence my sorry state of affairs. I opened my eyes, put on the thinking cap. I sat up till three in the morning and off came a beautiful creative chef d'Ĺ“uvre. I believe the penitence, guilt and the compassion for the person hurt gave flavor to the work of artistry. Next morning, the masterpiece was delivered with a heartfelt apology. I don't know if my efforts paid off but I surely know the spirit of apology has provided the silver spark of lightening within the darker clouds when the number i was anticipating to flash earlier, flashed on my mobile screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment